SAN MATEO, Calif., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Drivers in downtown San Mateo can now more easily find available on-street parking spaces, as well as the locations of parking garages and lots, thanks to a new Smart Parking system unveiled today by the City of San Mateo with the help of Streetline, Inc. and Cisco. Using sensors and a free consumer app called Parker™ from Streetline—and the intelligent networking technology platform from Cisco—motorists will be able to view real-time parking availability in downtown real-time parking availability of 135 on-street parking spaces in downtown San Mateo near the intersection of 3 rd Avenue and B Street.
"I'm pleased that San Mateo was chosen for this project to bring innovative parking technology to our city," said Larry Patterson, Director of Public Works for the City of San Mateo. "This tool is consistent with San Mateo's strong technology industry and is an example of the City's commitment to efficiently managing parking to support our downtown."
Sensors embedded in the pavement of the selected parking spaces detect when a space is available. Cisco's smart routers communicate with Streetline sensors to aggregate sensor data and the same time communicate with Streetline cloud center to deliver the availability of the parking spots. The intelligent network platform captures the data and publishes it into Streetline's free mobile application, Parker, which displays real-time availability of these on-street spaces as well as locations of off-street parking garages and lots along with other information such as pricing and enforcement hours.
"By deploying this cutting-edge Smart Parking technology, San Mateo has taken a great step towards becoming a Smarter City," said Zia Yusuf, CEO of Streetline. "We are pleased to be working alongside Cisco to bring this technology to San Mateo and hopefully resolve one of the most pressing concerns facing today's cities – parking."Some of the notable features of the Parker by Streetline app include:
- Real-time availability of select on-street parking spaces to guide consumers to spaces; Parker updates automatically when a car is parked or leaves
- Hands-free voice navigation system that safely guides drivers to parking facilities using an audible cue when available parking is nearby
- Ability to toggle between availability and price, including real time updates as prices are changed or updated
- Easy access to rates, hours and time limits for both on-street spaces and off-street parking facilities metered and on-street parking where available
- Ability to enter an address or search by points of interest including airports, universities, shopping centers, featured neighborhoods, transit and hospitals
- The ability to enter an address within Parker and view parking options nearest to that destination
- Mark areas on the Parker map to keep track of where a car is parked (and later get guidance back to the car), set reminders, take a picture of a car and take notes about the location. Parker also saves parking history data for easy access later
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV