Japanese farm and construction equipment maker Kubota (KUB) is forming a channel of its own, but instead of a channel higher, KUB is consolidating sideways. That's not a huge surprise, though. KUB has been on a 30% rally of its own in 2012, outperforming the broad market by a big margin -- the recent consolidation channel gives shareholders a chance to catch their breath and figure out their next moves.
Kubota's channel is a price pattern called a rectangle. It's formed by horizontal resistance to the upside and horizontal support below shares. Unlike an uptrending channel, there isn't a whole lot of point in buying shares within the channel -- they're just meandering sideways, after all. So the breakout is the way to trade this stock.
As you can see in KUB, this breakout has already happened: on Friday, shares confirmed a breakout above the $53 resistance level, sending a buy signal for traders. Shares haven't moved much since that breakout happened, so there's still time to jump on this trade -- just keep a tight stop in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV