HSBC Holdings Plc
It's been a stellar year for HSBC Holdings (HBC) -- shares of the London-based bank have rallied close to 34% since the first trading day of 2012. But with HSBC hitting new 52-week highs, it doesn't look like the upside is going to slow down from here. Instead, there's a buying opportunity in this stock.
That's because HSBC is currently bouncing higher within an uptrending channel, a price range that's bounded by trendline resistance overhead and trendline support below. This channel has been in force since late July, and over that time it's done a good job of identifying the likely extent of this stock's moves. Any stock in an uptrending channel presents a buying opportunity, but for risk-averse investors, the best time to buy comes after a bounce off of support.
That bounce is important because it shows that HBC can still catch a bid at support before you buy -- support levels do eventually fail, and when they do, you don't want to be left holding the bag. The relative strength line (at the bottom of the chart above) accelerated at the start of September, indicating that HBC's outperformance over the S&P was increasing even more. If you decide to be a buyer here, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop just under the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV