HSBC Holdings Plc
It's been a stellar year for HSBC Holdings (HBC) -- shares of the London-based bank have rallied close to 34% since the first trading day of 2012. But with HSBC hitting new 52-week highs, it doesn't look like the upside is going to slow down from here. Instead, there's a buying opportunity in this stock.
That's because HSBC is currently bouncing higher within an uptrending channel, a price range that's bounded by trendline resistance overhead and trendline support below. This channel has been in force since late July, and over that time it's done a good job of identifying the likely extent of this stock's moves. Any stock in an uptrending channel presents a buying opportunity, but for risk-averse investors, the best time to buy comes after a bounce off of support.
That bounce is important because it shows that HBC can still catch a bid at support before you buy -- support levels do eventually fail, and when they do, you don't want to be left holding the bag. The relative strength line (at the bottom of the chart above) accelerated at the start of September, indicating that HBC's outperformance over the S&P was increasing even more. If you decide to be a buyer here, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop just under the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV