BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- As fiscal cliff fears come to a head, it's easy to lose track of what's really going on with the stock market. After all, the headlines don't always synch up with how much your investments are worth.
But just to be clear, the S&P 500 could be looking a lot worse right now. As it stands, the big index is just a few points shy of the 1430 level, a resistance level that acted as a sort of "ceiling" for stock prices back in November -- if the S&P can crack through 1430, I think we'll probably see a test of highs. And yes, that could very well happen before the calendar flips to 2013.
As strong as the S&P may be, a select group of stocks is doing one better. They're the names that are showing outsized relative strength right now -- and more than a few are flashing the buy signal this week.So, how does relative strength work? Put simply, relative strength is a ratio of a stock's price to a broad market index. The ratio itself isn't important -- instead, it's the trend of the ratio over time that's investible. According to academic research, relative strength is a powerful strategy over a one-to-ten month time horizon; that's the timeframe we're focusing on today. We're taking a technical look at the five setups that have the strongest price setups right now. >>5 Toxic Stocks to Dump Before 2013 For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV