Donate A Car -- The Right Way
Your state department of motor vehicles typically will offer a Notice of Transfer of Title and release of liability that you can file once you have signed the car over. That tells the DMV you have sold a vehicle, and you should be able to cancel your insurance after the sale report is done.
Don't just let the policy lapse; if you don't renew it or pay the bill, the policy will be canceled for nonpayment. That can have a major impact on your future car insurance rates.
Your name doesn't come off the legal title until the new owner registers the car, Gusner warns. “It's a good idea to follow up at the DMV later on. You may not be legally liable anymore, but you don't want to have to go to court to prove it.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV