But looking ahead, McNeil said, "December should be all all-new ballgame." This month is "one of the strongest months of the year for Silverado and Sierra, consumers are feeling good, housing is rebounding and we remain confident there will be a (fiscal cliff) resolution in Washington."
Looking further ahead, in the second quarter of 2013 GM will introduce a 2014 Silverado. GM has been building truck inventory this year in anticipation of plant shutdowns for retooling. TrueCar.com analyst Jesse Toprak said Silverado "has a strong following and is long overdue for a major redesign." The new Silverado should do well, he said, "because we expect new home starts and construction to continue to improve, which accounts for a lot of truck sales."
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV