Ensure A Safe And Happy Holiday By Including Winter Weather Preparedness In Your Plans
FLASH provides tips on winter weather preparation to ensure safe and comfortable visits with holiday guests and trips to family holiday travel destinations
TALLAHASSEE, Fla., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)® reminds families that, as they ready for seasonal guests and travel, now is the time to make winter weather preparedness a part of your holiday plans. FLASH is offering useful tips for preventing frozen pipes, ice dams, chimney fires and more to keep families and their guests safe and comfortable throughout the holidays and the winter season.
"While we're all preparing for visitors or planning trips to see friends and loved ones, we can make getting ready for winter weather a part of the preparations," said Leslie Chapman-Henderson, President and CEO of FLASH, the country's leading consumer advocate for strengthening homes and safeguarding families from natural and manmade disasters. "Thoughtful touches like holiday hand towels will be appreciated as long as the water is flowing because you have prevented your pipes from freezing."
According to FLASH, damage from winter-related home hazards like frozen pipes, a leading cause of homeowners' insurance claims, can cost thousands of dollars of damage and become a major inconvenience to you and your guests. Tips to prepare the home include:
- Double check or install proper attic insulation to prevent water damage from ice dams
- Ensure safe usage of fireplaces, furnaces and space heaters
- Insulate pipes to prevent costly floods from frozen pipes
- Keep walkways around your home clear of snow and ice
- Winterize your windows and install window insulation kits to keep your guests warm and toasty
- Prepare to stay safe and warm during power outages
- Make sure other people know your travel plans and how to contact you. Travel in convoy with other vehicles if possible.
- Prepare an extreme winter weather survival kit for your car. They also make great gifts for loved ones who travel frequently during the holidays. Include:
- Non-perishable food such as canned goods or candy bars
- Extra clothes and blankets
- A battery powered radio
- A shovel
- If stranded, remain in the vehicle. Tie a brightly colored cloth to the antenna so rescuers can find you. Run the engine occasionally for heat making sure to keep the exhaust pipe clear. Open windows occasionally for fresh air.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV