- One in 40 Respondents had a Child who was a Victim of ID Fraud. According to the study's findings, the incident rate of child identity fraud among households with dependents under age 18 is 2.5 percent over the lifetime of the family, or one in 40. This number may be underreported due to the prevalence of family members who may be linked to the crime and would not admit to the fraud, as well as households where victims do not discover their childhood ID fraud until they reach age 18.
- Victimization Frequently Occurs Close to Home by Family or Friends. Friendly fraud is to blame in many child ID theft cases, and the data shows that 27 percent of victims reported knowing the individual responsible for the crime.
- A Social Security Number Is the Top Compromised Identifier. Consistent with industry experience, and like adult identity fraud, the study shows that Social Security numbers are the most commonly used piece of information by identity thieves targeting children. Criminals actively seek children's Social Security numbers (SSNs) to create a "Synthetic ID," which can be used to commit financial fraud. In fact, 56 percent of respondents reported theft or misuse of a child's SSN. In fact, 56 percent of victims reported theft or misuse of a child's SSN.
- Synthetic Identities Most Common Method of Child ID Fraud. The study shows that the most common way that criminals use a child's personal information is to combine a child's Social Security number with a different date of birth to create a fabricated identity that can be used to commit fraud. Synthetic identities are very difficult to detect.
- Ch ild Identity Fraud Difficult to Detect and Resolve. The survey showed that these crimes took 334 days to detect and 44 hours to resolve, and 17 percent of children were victimized for a year or longer. These statistics indicate that child identity fraud is both difficult to detect, and difficult to resolve.
Intersections Inc. And ITAC Share Findings From Landmark Child Identity Fraud Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.