Features of Protean's in-wheel motors include:
- Fuel economy improvements up to 30 percent depending on battery size
- Highest torque density of any of today's leading electric propulsion systems
- 81 kW (110 hp) and 800 Nm (590 lb.-ft. torque) in each motor
- Weight of only 31 kg (68 lbs.) per motor
- Fits within the space of a conventional 18-inch road wheel
- Superior regenerative braking capabilities, which allow up to 85 percent of the available kinetic energy to be recovered during braking
Protean has been awarded 25 patents for its unique technology and design, and 84 additional patent applications have been filed internationally and with specific countries in North America, Europe and Asia. Protean also has won the prestigious 2012 Technology Pioneers Award from the World Economic Forum as being one of most promising start-up technology companies in the world.
In addition, Protean has developed multiple demonstration vehicles, including a Ford F150 pick-up truck, Volvo C30, Vauxhall Vivaro cargo van, Guangzhou Automobile Company Trumpchi, and BRABUS full electric and hybrid vehicles, based on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
About Protean: Protean Electric is a leading clean technology company that designs, develops and manufactures the Protean Drive™, a fully integrated, in-wheel motor, direct-drive solution. Protean Electric is strategically positioned to play a major role in the hybrid and electric vehicle market by offering a combination of packaging advantages, new vehicle design opportunities, performance benefits and cost savings. Protean is funded by Oak Investment Partners, GSR Ventures and Jiangsu New Times Holding Group Co., Ltd. Protean Electric has operations in the United States, United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Germany. For more information, visit www.proteanelectric.com.SOURCE Protean Electric