Kass: Dangers of the Fiscal Cliff Overblown
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A fall from the fiscal cliff will impact "less than 1 percent" of the economy "so effectively no impact at all," said Doug Kass, founder of SeaBreeze Partners Monday on CNBC's Fast Money (to see the full interview, click here).
"Less than 1 percent means that the impact of a rise in dividend and capital gains are simply noise," he said.
He predicted a "50/50 chance" lawmakers will reach a "grand fiscal bargain." If that takes place, "you'll see a lift in production from inventory building from the first half of the next year."
Despite concerns, most investors are probably not aware of the tax implications of the fiscal cliff. "The calculation assumes that everybody has an equal level of sophistication, and we know that's not true," he said. "I would bet that 50 to 75 percent of people that own stocks in this country don't even know that tax rates are rising."To see Doug Kass's complete prediction for how the fiscal cliff will affect the stock market and your investments, visit Real Money Pro.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV