NEWTON, Mass., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor ® , the world's largest travel site*, and Kiva, the world's first microlending platform, have launched a unique new partnership connecting travelers from the TripAdvisor community with Kiva borrowers in countries the travelers have visited.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57940-tripadvisor-and-kiva-launch-partnership
Kiva is a nonprofit organization working to alleviate poverty around the world by connecting people through microlending. Thousands of borrowers in 66 countries are listed on Kiva, such as a farmer in Peru, a fisherman in Indonesia, or a seamstress in Cambodia. Lenders read about borrowers on Kiva.org and choose which ones to support with a loan of $25 or more. Even a small loan can create new opportunities for loan recipients, their families, and their communities.The TripAdvisor/Kiva partnership reaches travelers who have been to one of these countries and written a review for that trip on TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor then invites these travelers to choose a borrower in the country they visited to receive a $25 microloan on Kiva.org. The loans are entirely funded through a $250,000 contribution from TripAdvisor and come at no cost to the traveler. This marks the first time Kiva has worked with a company offering microloans to its customers in the countries where they have just been. Only those traveler who have written reviews in countries served by Kiva will be invited to make a TripAdvisor $25 microloan. "We're thrilled to work with Kiva and support such a worthy cause," commented Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer, TripAdvisor. "We're also delighted to be able to provide our community with a way of giving back to the communities they traveled to, where even a single relatively small loan can make a life changing difference." "This partnership combines the power of TripAdvisor's crowdsourcing and Kiva's crowd funding to make meaningful change in the world," said Premal Shah, President of Kiva. "As global citizens none of us are visitors, we are all connected. Nothing makes this more clear than when we travel. Through this partnership, the affinity you develop for the people and places you visit can continue when you return home. In most places in the world, often only a relatively small amount of money stands between a person and their dream to start or expand their shop, send their children to school, or bring solar light and clean water into their homes." How the Kiva and TripAdvisor partnership works:
- When a traveler reviews a hotel, vacation rental, restaurant or attraction in a Kiva-supported country on one of TripAdvisor's English-language sites (US, UK, Canada, Ireland, and Australia), that reviewer is eligible to make a $25 microloan to a recipient in that country. This microloan is funded by TripAdvisor.
- After submitting a review for an eligible country, the user will receive an email from TripAdvisor with information about the microloan. This email directs the reviewer to Kiva.org, where the $25 microloan gift from TripAdvisor can be applied. Microloan gifts will only be offered for the user's first review of each eligible country.
- The reviewer can see personal and business details of potential borrowers in that country. The reviewer selects a borrower and Kiva then facilitates the loan.
- Funds contributed by TripAdvisor will be lent and relent for one year by TripAdivsor travelers. After that year, 100 percent of the repayments will be donated by TripAdvisor to Kiva. The average repayment rate of loans facilitated on Kiva.org is 99 percent.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts