NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) has several phase II and phase III clinical trial catalysts over the next months that, if positive, could provide fuel for fairly large share-price appreciation on top of the 70% gains already seen in the stock year-to-date. Adam Feuerstein wrote a preview of the Amigal phase III monotherapy trial in Fabry disease last Friday.
Options currently imply a $2.50 move in the shares -- $8.30 on the upside, $3.30 on the downside. An interesting, near-term, bullish trade with good risk reward is the following:
Buy 100 JAN 5.0 strike Calls at 1.95 = $19,500
Sell 200 JAN 7.5 strike Calls at 1.10 = $(22,000)
Buy 100 JAN 10.0 strike Calls at 0.50 = $5,000
Initial Trade P&L = $2,500 Debit
This is a JAN expiration Call Butterfly (long.) Total risk is defined and equal to $2,500 and occurs if Amicus shares trades below $5 and above $10 by Jan. 19 expiration. The trade breaks even at $5.25 per share and $9.75 per share. Maximum return is $22,500 if Amicus shares hit $7.50 by expiration, which represents a risk/reward of 9 times.Pelz has no position in Amicus. To learn more about using options to trade biotech stocks, check out Tony Pelz's book, The Biotech Trader Handbook or subscribe to Chimera Research Group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV