Though Broadcom is expecting revenue weakness in the fourth quarter, I'm inclined to be a bit more optimistic about its prospects. A lot of that has much to do with recent and imminent product launches from Amazon (AMZN) and Apple (AAPL) -- products which include the new Kindle Fire as well as the iPhone 5. What's more, that Apple already reported 5 million iPhone 5 sales in the first three days of the launch speaks to the potential positive impact on Broadcom's revenue.
Likewise, Broadcom's relationship with Samsung coupled with that of Apple presents Broadcom with 50% exposure in the smartphone market. As impressive as this fact may be, this represents only one part of the company's portfolio of products. Investors continue to discount Broadcom's dominance in networking where its biggest customers include Cisco (CSCO).
Broadcom is also involved in satellite and VoIP components as well as set-top boxes. At some point these markets should also see a slight rebound -- helping Broadcom generate more revenue outside of the market for which it is currently known.There is a lot to like about Broadcom and its current ranking in the ongoing battle for chip supremacy. As I noted above, the stock is far from cheap but there is considerable value left for investors who are willing to be patient. The stock can easily approach $35 by year's end with better than expected earnings numbers by Apple, Samsung and Amazon, which all have the potential to dominate that all important holiday shopping season. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @rsaintvilus This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV