ANAHEIM, Calif., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Questcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOR) today announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.20 per share to all shareholders of record at the close of business on December 14, 2012. The dividend will be paid in lieu of the Company's regular quarterly cash dividend that would have been paid in the first quarter of 2013, and is scheduled to be paid on or about December 21, 2012. The Company accelerated payment of the first quarter 2013 dividend to allow its shareholders to benefit from the current dividend tax rate that is scheduled to expire on December 31, 2012. Future dividends will be at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
"Our business continues to grow and this dividend reflects our positive outlook and confidence in our ability to continue to generate returns for shareholders and invest in future growth through R&D," said Don M. Bailey, President and CEO of Questcor.
About QuestcorQuestcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the treatment of patients with serious, difficult-to-treat autoimmune and inflammatory disorders. Questcor's primary product is H.P. Acthar® Gel (repository corticotropin injection), an injectable drug that is approved by the FDA for the treatment of 19 indications. Of these 19 indications, Questcor currently generates substantially all of its net sales from three indications: the treatment of proteinuria in idiopathic types of nephrotic syndrome, the treatment of acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis in adults, and the treatment of infantile spasms in children under two years of age. With respect to nephrotic syndrome, the FDA has approved Acthar to "induce a diuresis or a remission of proteinuria in the nephrotic syndrome without uremia of the idiopathic type or that due to lupus erythematosus." Questcor has also launched a pilot effort in rheumatology, as Acthar is approved for several rheumatology-related conditions including Dermatomyositis, Polymyositis, Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Questcor is also exploring the possibility of developing markets for other on-label indications and the possibility of pursuing FDA approval of additional indications not currently on the Acthar label where there is high unmet medical need. For more information about Questcor, please visit www.questcor.com. Note: Except for the historical information contained herein, this press release contains forward-looking statements that have been made pursuant to the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements relate to future events or our future financial performance. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by terminology such as "believes," "continue," "could," "estimates," "expects," "growth," "may," "plans," "potential," "should," "substantial" or "will" or the negative of such terms and other comparable terminology. These statements are only predictions. Actual events or results may differ materially. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Our reliance on Acthar for substantially all of our net sales and profits;
- Research and development risks and our reliance on third-parties to conduct research and development and the ability of research and development to generate successful results;
- Our ability to receive high reimbursement levels from third party payers;
- Our ability to comply with federal and state regulations, including regulations relating to pharmaceutical sales and marketing practices;
- The results of any pending or future litigation, investigations or claims, including with respect to the investigation by the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania regarding the Company's promotional practices;
- Regulatory changes or other policy actions by governmental authorities and other third parties in connection with U.S. health care reform or efforts to reduce federal and state government deficits;
- An increase in the proportion of our Acthar unit sales comprised of Medicaid-eligible patients and government entities;
- Volatility in Questcor's monthly and quarterly Acthar shipments, estimated channel inventory, and end-user demand, as well as volatility in our stock price; and
- Other risks discussed in Questcor's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or SEC, on February 22, 2012, and other documents filed with the SEC. The risk factors and other information contained in these documents should be considered in evaluating Questcor's prospects and future financial performance.