Asia Stocks Down On US Manufacturing Report
Japan's Nikkei 225 index fell 0.3 percent to close at 9,432.46. Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.2 percent to 21,799.97. South Korea's Kospi fell 0.3 percent to 1,935.18. In mainland China, the Shanghai Composite Index rose 0.8 percent to 1,975.14. The smaller Shenzhen Composite Index added 1.3 percent to 743.62.
Australia's S&P/ASX 200 shed 0.6 percent to 4,503.60 after the Reserve Bank of Australia, as expected, cut its benchmark interest rate by a quarter of a percentage point to 3 percent, its lowest level since the global financial crisis.
The bank voiced concerns for the Australian economy amid uncertainty over the United States' fiscal policy and stubbornly weak conditions in Europe.
Australia's Newcrest Mining Ltd. fell 1.8 percent and Energy Resources of Australia Ltd. sank 2.9 percent.Elsewhere, struggling electronics maker Sharp gained 1.2 percent in Tokyo. Japanese news reports said Sharp and U.S. mobile phone chipmaker Qualcomm Inc. have reached a basic agreement on a capital and business tie-up. Benchmark oil for January delivery was down 15 cents to $88.93 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract rose 18 cents to close at $89.09 in New York on Monday. In currencies, the euro fell to $1.3068 from $1.3060 late Monday in New York. The dollar fell to 82.01 yen from 82.24 yen. ___ Follow Pamela Sampson on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pamelasampson
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV