Record-Breaking $5.7 Million Raised During 11th Annual St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend Presented By Juice Plus+Â®
The popular St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend reaches full capacity earlier every year. The half marathon sold out in May this year, compared to a sell-out in mid-July last year. The marathon sold out in June compared to August last year, and the Memphis Grizzlies House 5K sold out in October, compared to a mid-November sell-out in 2011. The St. Jude Memphis Kids Marathon and Family Fun Run, now in its fourth year, continues to grow towards capacity.
The event has grown from 2,800 registrants in its first year to more than 18,500 registrants this year. "I visit many races during the year and I always run into people who say that the St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend is their Tennessee race," said Wain Rubinstein, race director. "Participants hail from all over the country and those who choose to raise money further demonstrate the importance of the mission of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital."
Among the thousands of participants was local elite runner Austin Selby, 29, of Bartlett, who was severely injured when he was struck by a car while running in December 2010. He recovered enough to earn a spot in the ING New York City Marathon last month. The St. Jude Memphis Marathon welcomed runners like Selby unable to participate in last month's ING New York City Marathon after it was canceled in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.
Other winners from race day included the top male and female finishers in the half-marathon, Arturs Bareiris of Crestwood, Ill. with a time of 1:10:48 and Michelle Hymel of New Orleans, La. with a time of 1:23:38.The marathon relay awards were given to the top finishers in the categories of male, female and co-ed.
- Male ( Newbern Tenn.) 3:45:28 - Team Ermco Power Michael Autry, Scott Lochridge, Roger Stegeman, Greg Stone and Danny Thompson
- Female ( Memphis Tenn.) 3:53:24 - Team Awesome Ashley Wallace, Keri Cruzen, Kelly Lomax, Beth Scarbrough and Amanda Wittenberg
- Co-ed ( Germantown Tenn.) 3:03:38 - Pilgrimage Track Club Bruce Keisling, Whitten Ortega, Scott Peatross, Jessica Tatum and Kelley Willis
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV