Denver Physician Breaks New Ground In Cochlear Implants
DENVER, Nov. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A Swedish Medical Center ( www.SwedishHospital.com) physician is breaking new ground in the area of cochlear implants with his recent surgery on a 9-year-old girl who received the medical implant for single-sided deafness. Daniel Zeitler, M.D., a neurotologist and skull-based surgeon, is one of only a few medical professionals in the U.S. to perform the procedure for this population and diagnosis.
According to Zeitler, the young patient's deafness was beginning to take its toll on her both academically and socially."Although Claire is an excellent student, she had to sit strategically in the classroom to be able to hear. She often felt socially isolated during basketball practice or active family outings. Basically, all the things that a 9-year-old girl likes to do were slowly taken away because of her deafness," Zeitler says. Young Claire received the cochlear implant on November 26. The MED-EL device will be activated on Dec. 18; however, Zeitler says early testing during surgery indicated it was working properly. The use of cochlear implants for single-sided deafness, and for patients as young as Claire, is an emerging practice in Europe, but is extremely rare in the U.S. In fact, the FDA has not yet approved the device for single-sided deafness, says Zeitler. So why did Dr. Zeitler agree to this rare procedure? Because he feels Claire can benefit greatly from this technology, and he's confident the cochlear implant will dramatically improve the quality of life for this youngster sooner rather than later. "There's a huge push to initiate clinical trials for its use in these circumstances in the U.S., but only a few anecdotal reports and small objective studies currently exist. Unfortunately, there is no good data or large-scale subjective experiences to make it the norm yet," Zeitler says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV