According to a press release, Oracle has accelerated its second, third and fourth-quarter cash dividend totaling 18 cents per share to be payable later this month.
Oracle noted in the press release that CEO Larry Ellison, also its largest shareholder, did not participate or vote on this matter. It came straight from the board. The accelerated dividend will be paid to shareholders of record as of Dec. 14, 2012, with a payment date of Dec. 21, 2012.
The accelerated dividend will be paid in lieu of dividends in 2013, as fears about the coming tax hike on dividend rates are a concern for investors. The long-term capital gains rate on dividends this year is 15%, but many fear they could be taxed as ordinary income, as Washington tries to lower the federal deficit, with tax hikes proposed as part of the solution. Many believe the tax rate on dividends will move all the way to 39.6% for the highest earners.Oracle noted that it will next revisit its dividend policy when it announces its earnings results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2014. That is scheduled to end Aug. 31, 2013. Shares of Oracle closed Monday's session higher, gaining 0.64% to $32.38. Interested in more on Oracle? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV