Updated from 2:54 p.m. ET with details about Richard Marriott
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Mitt Romney already has a new job. Sorta.
J.W. Marriott, Jr., executive chairman of Marriott International (MAR), announced Monday that the former Republican presidential nominee would be rejoining the company's board.
"We are delighted that Gov. Romney has agreed to rejoin our board, on which he has served with distinction twice before," Marriott said in a statement. "We will benefit from his tremendous energy and capability to guide long-term success in an increasingly complex business environment. We look forward to working closely with him again as a member of our strong, talented and diverse board."Romney previously served on the board from 1993 to 2002, when he successfully ran for Massachusetts governor. He served a second term on the board from 2009 to 2011, when he left to run for the GOP nomination. "It is an honor to once again be able to serve in the company of leaders like Bill Marriott and Arne Sorenson and to support the work of the tens of thousands of Marriott associates who make Marriott International the renowned success that it is," Romney said in a statement. Marriott and brother Richard Marriott donated $5 million to Restore Our Future, the Super PAC supporting Romney, during the election, according to Federal Election Commission records compiled by opensecrets.org. Richard Marriott holds $1.2 billion in shares of Marriott, according to Bloomberg data, and is chairman of Host Hotels and Resorts (HST). Shares of the hotel giant were shedding 0.83% in afternoon trading on Monday. The stock had been trading below the flatline since the morning session. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV