Rating Change #6
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CITIGROUP INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CITIGROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.61 versus $3.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.18 versus $3.61).
- C, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 11.9%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, C's share price has jumped by 40.00%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Financial Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CITIGROUP INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CITIGROUP INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.10%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.97% significantly trails the industry average.
Citigroup, Inc., a diversified financial services holding company, provides a range of financial products and services to consumers, corporations, governments, and institutions worldwide. The company operates through two segments, Citicorp and Citi Holdings. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.7, below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Citigroup has a market cap of $102.76 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. Shares are up 33.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
You can view the full
Citigroup Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center