KARLSRUHE, Germany, Dec. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Airbag 2012 -- TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. (NYSE: TRW) is unveiling its adaptive side airbag technology at the 11 th International Symposium & Exhibition on Sophisticated Car Occupant Safety Systems, which opened today. The airbags feature a 'flexi adaptive vent' which can help to enhance the protection of occupants according to different crash severities.
Norbert Kagerer, vice president of engineering for TRW's Occupant Safety Systems business, commented: "Adaptive occupant safety technologies began with the introduction of dual stage inflators over a decade ago and have progressed to include factors such as deployment force, bag geometry, stiffness and shape as the bag deploys.
"For example, TRW is already in production with its 'SAVe' active venting system for passenger frontal airbags that adapts to the position of the passenger and will soften the airbag through supplemental vents in the airbag module to allow some of the gases to be expelled when the passenger is in closer proximity to the airbag when it deploys."TRW's latest generation of adaptive side airbags can also now adjust restraint performance according to parameters such as the speed and force of the crash. It is one of our more advanced airbag technologies and is designed to enhance the protection of occupants in common side impact crashes." With TRW's new side airbag system, a tether mechanism inside the airbag can close the vent during a more severe crash where the intrusion level on the side of the vehicle is typically greater. This helps to maintain pressure in the airbag for a longer duration and thus absorb more energy during a high severity impact. It also helps to reduce the probability of 'bottoming out' between the door trim and the occupant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV