At its 2012 Investor Forum, The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) today reinforced the Company’s commitment to its long-term strategy, and shared with investors strategic interventions and key catalysts that will enable Dow to achieve near-term targets and drive sustainable earnings growth.
Dow’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Andrew N. Liveris, in his keynote address to investors, outlined specific actions the Company is taking to drive down costs, improve cash flow and extract maximum value from its assets. “We are taking swift and decisive actions to protect our growth path and drive near-term value,” said Liveris. “And we have built a more simplified organization – concentrating only on those things that increase cash flow, improve return on capital and drive earnings growth.”
Drivers to Near-Term Targets
During the event, Liveris presented several key drivers that will fuel Dow’s near-term earnings growth:
- Accelerating interventions to generate cash and reduce costs. Dow has deployed $2.5 billion of aggressive measures in 2012. These actions are expected to deliver $1 billion in cost and cash interventions in 2013, of which $500 million will impact EBITDA (1). With nearly 40 project cancellation and plant shutdowns announced this year, the Company is taking swift steps to improve asset utilization, drive down structural costs – particularly in Europe – and enhance return on capital.
- Further bolstering Dow’s significant feedstock advantage and driving sustainable margin expansion for downstream, derivative businesses. The Company remains on schedule to restart its St. Charles Operations (Louisiana) ethylene cracker, which is expected to deliver a $150 million increase in EBITDA in 2013. Taken on the whole, Dow’s U.S. Gulf Coast investments in ethylene and propylene integration, coupled with favorable shale gas dynamics, are expected to deliver $2 billion in additional EBITDA in 2017. The Company also reaffirmed that its Sadara joint venture remains firmly on track, with an anticipated construction workforce peak of about 60,000 people next year, and operations slated for start-up in 2015. Once operational, this joint venture is expected to deliver EBITDA margins of approximately 40 percent.
- Prioritizing innovation to hone in on markets and technologies with clear, near-term earnings delivery and in high-return businesses, such as Dow AgroSciences, Electronic Materials and Performance Packaging. Over the last several years, Dow has successfully rebalanced its innovation pipeline toward commercialization. Today, programs in the implementation stage of Dow’s R&D pipeline represent a net present value of $7 billion – an approximate $200 million increase versus 2011. Importantly, the Company has also reduced exploration programs – reprioritizing resources to focus on near-term commercialization opportunities. In addition, Dow has announced it is halting growth projects where significant market shifts and government policies have triggered fundamental changes, such as alternative energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV