Small Biz Lending Picked Up In October
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Small business owners borrowed more in October, a sign that they might be getting more confident about hiring.
Lending to small companies rose 11 percent from September's level, according to a survey released Monday by PayNet, which provides credit ratings on small businesses. Small business lending has been erratic recently, dropping in September after increasing in July and August.
The Thomson Reuters/PayNet Small Business Lending index, which is based on new commercial loans and leases granted to small businesses, rose to 107.5 from a revised 96.4.
Owners have been very cautious about borrowing because of uncertainty about the economy. But recent reports have shown that small companies are hiring slowly. And positive news came from the government last week: The economy grew at a better-than-expected 2.7 percent annual rate during the third quarter. That may encourage owners to hire, although many may be waiting to see what action Congress will take on taxes and budget cuts for 2013. And small businesses in the Northeast are contending with billions of dollars in damage from Hurricane Sandy, which may make them uneasy about expanding in the next few months.Several reports this week will show whether businesses stepped up their hiring during November. Among them: the Labor Department's monthly employment report on Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV