As with Tim Tebow and his limited playing time on the football field, TiVo chief executive Tom Rogers said at a Monday media conference that the digital video recording pioneer is not being properly lauded for its suite of capabilities, which includes DVR for cable and satellite operators, and broadband service that can connect to the likes of Amazon (AMZN), Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu and can go mobile.
The company also has a media analytics unit that competes against marketing research giant Nielsen (NLSN), and a portfolio of intellectual property it is litigating against the likes of Motorola and Cisco (CSCO).
In the same way football fans and general managers don't give Tebow credit for his passing game, Rogers said at the UBS sponsored media conference that TiVo doesn't get enough credit for how the company connects to new forms of non-broadcast media.In November, TiVo hired Tebow to be the company's spokesperson and in a web ad that can be seen on YouTube, Tebow makes the case for TiVo's multi-dimensional media capabilities. "It's not just a DVR,... it's a magic box," exclaims the Jets backup quarterback. Given on field developments on Sunday in a challenged season for Tebow and the Jets, Rogers point is especially acute. After Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez threw three interceptions and no touchdowns in the first half of a game against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Coach Rex Ryan replaced Sanchez with third string quarterback Greg McElroy, who promptly led the Jets on a game-winning touchdown drive. Tebow, who is injured, did not play. "We are going to make a better use of [Tebow] than the Jets have this season," said Rogers at the conference. In a quick follow up interview with TheStreet after his presentation, Rogers said that hiring Tebow as TiVo's spokesperson was inspired by his teenage son, who noted the phonetic similarities between the company's name and its quarterback spokesperson.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV