While it is intriguing to see "Low-Volatility ETFs" garner a chunk of the upside of broad market benchmarks, it is critical to understand where we are in a fear-greed cycle. Specifically, the events of 2008 as well as the subsequent crises (e.g., European debt, "Taxmageddon," etc.) lead money managers as well as individuals toward less risky watering holes. And that's fine -- for now.
On the other hand, one would be wise to recognize that yield-oriented ETFs and low-volatility ETFs are not "buy-and-forget" solutions. Rising interest rates could hurt the former and the latter, to the extent the latter is heavily exposed to utility stocks. Most importantly, where the investment community sits on the fear-greed continuum will affect both the types of concepts that ETF marketers may hype as well as the performance of those ETFs themselves.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV