The global water services industry is set to double to $1 trillion in annual revenues by 2020 as companies address the growing problem of water scarcity, according to a new BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research report called “A Blue Revolution – global water” based on the collective views of 35 analysts, covering 60 companies from 18 countries. The report is the latest thematic megatrend piece from BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research following previous reports on obesity, energy efficiency, safety and security and a previous report on water.
Water is on course to be scarcer than oil by 2030, with demand outstripping water supply by 40 percent. Close to half of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed areas. Insufficient freshwater, uneven distribution and climate change are factors limiting the supply of water, while demand is growing in homes, businesses and farms around the world. Unless more sustainable water management practices are adopted, 45 percent of projected 2050 global GDP at 2000 prices could be at risk – equal to $63 trillion.
BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research has identified the companies it believes are in the strongest position to benefit from the global dynamics of water supply and demand. The report highlights how Asia and South America are poised for the strongest growth. With public finances under pressure, the private sector will have to provide more funding. The report estimates that 30 percent of global investment will come from private sources by 2016, compared with only 16 percent today.
The report outlines three themes of addressing water scarcity, explaining the challenges in each area and the potential solutions that companies are developing. The themes are: Water Treatment, Water Management, and Water Infrastructure and Supply. It identifies companies that have the greatest exposure to the megatrend of scarcity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV