Dec. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at the 2012 American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Meeting & Exhibition, CareFusion Corp. (NYSE: CFN), a leading, global medical technology company, announced multiple new products that are designed to help improve medication safety.
"Our enterprise-wide approach to medication safety extends beyond device hardware to provide valuable information that helps improve safety and workflow efficiency," said
Tom Leonard, president of Medical Systems at CareFusion. "Never in our history have we had stronger or more innovative technologies to help clinicians keep patients safe and help lower hospital costs."
New offerings being showcased at CareFusion booth #1949 include:
Pyxis ® ES platform (Pyxis
® Anesthesia ES system, Pyxis MedStation
® ES system, Pyxis
® Enterprise Server)
Pyxis® Anesthesia system 4000
- Pyxis® Anesthesia ES system with Pyxis Enterprise Server: The Pyxis Anesthesia ES system is the newest offering available on the Pyxis ES platform, following last year's introduction of the Pyxis MedStation ® ES system. This innovative solution extends the value of the Pyxis ES Platform to the operating room (OR) and procedural areas for a single hospital or across a health system. Powered by the Pyxis Enterprise Server, the Pyxis Anesthesia ES system offers the same innovative centralized system management and enterprise-wide capabilities as the Pyxis MedStation ES system, including enhanced formulary and user management for pharmacy and improved system management for information technology (IT) departments. Redesigned from the ground up, Pyxis Anesthesia ES system provides simple, safe patient-centric workflows and security enhancements that promote hospital compliance efforts and help protect patients, anesthesia providers and pharmacy personnel.
- Pyxis MedStation® ES system with Pyxis Enterprise Server: Introduced in 2011, this new system features centralized system management capabilities not previously seen in other medication management systems. New integration capabilities with existing hospital systems provide one system formulary and enhanced user management across the health system. The system also provides patient-centric clinical workflow efficiencies with an improved user interface that provides comprehensive medication information in one place.
: Built with identical hardware as the Pyxis Anesthesia ES system, this new dispensing system automates medication management in the operating room and procedural areas and helps maximize medication security and storage capacity with an advanced biometric access system and a variety of drawer types—including a new controlled access drawer for larger high-risk medications like propofol. The system electronically captures information on medication removals, wastes and charges, reducing time-consuming manual tasks. Because it uses identical hardware as the Pyxis Anesthesia ES system, the Pyxis Anesthesia system 4000 provides the foundation for future migration to the Pyxis ES platform.
Alaris® Infusion Viewer for Pharmacy Logistics
: This web-based dashboard is capable of showing near real-time status of all infusions across a hospital or health system that is using the Alaris® System with the Alaris Pump and/or Alaris Syringe Modules. The Alaris Infusion Viewer for Pharmacy Logistics uses data that is wirelessly transmitted from the pumps to display if infusions are currently infusing, stopped or completed. It can also show how much time remains and the amount of medication volume that is left to be infused into the patient. Additionally, the new system can display which pumps have a current Guardrails
soft alert violation, to streamline alert reviews. Pharmacy Logistics is the first application released on the Alaris Infusion Viewer technology platform.
Full-Height CUBIE® Pocket
: Available for both the Pyxis MedStation ES system and Pyxis MedStation 4000 system, the full-height CUBIE pocket leverages the same demonstrated best-practice benefits of half-height CUBIE pockets, but increases storage capacity for larger medications such as pre-filled syringes, vials and IV bags. This maximizes the availability of medications and reduces the time nurses spend gathering medication, while also increasing the security of high-risk and high-alert medications.
: A robotic compact storage and dispensing system that is appropriate for a hospital's central pharmacy as an efficient stock-management solution. The Rowa Vmax is a one-stop storage system that houses fast- and slow-moving medication, narcotics, temperature controlled items and other unique medication types. It uses barcode-based secure technology and dispenses medication within 8 to 12 seconds. The Rowa Vmax helps clinicians improve medication safety and streamline the administrative processes of the medication management. It can optimize a hospital's medication inventory through transparent real-time data, which helps minimize the risk of dispensing errors, prevent stock outs and free-up time for patient care activities.
: CareFusion has created a variety of interoperability solutions with other health IT systems to help streamline dispensing, administration and documentation of medication. The company will showcase how the
Pyxis MedStation® system
devices share data with point of care technologies and electronic medical records to improve medication safety and workflow efficiency.
About CareFusion Corporation
(NYSE: CFN) is a global corporation serving the health care industry with products and services that help hospitals measurably improve the safety and quality of care. The company develops market-leading technologies including
automated dispensing and
patient identification systems
Rowa™ automation solutions
ventilation and respiratory products,
® services for data mining surveillance,
® surgical instruments, and an extensive line of
products that support interventional medicine
. CareFusion employs more than 15,000 people across its global operations. More information may be found at
 Product not available in
the United States
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts