Soaking the Rich Won't Solve Much
The reasonable solutions are to raise the Social Security retirement age to 70, and pattern U.S. health care after other national systems that better contain costs.
The Germans and Dutch spend one-third less on health care, because their governments more aggressively regulate prices, better ration care, and spend less on lawsuits.
Democrats, hamstrung by unions, are loath to require Americans to work longer, and are too beholding to tort lawyers and the medical establishment for campaign support.
Republicans refuse to admit vouchers and more competition -- we already have plenty of the latter among providers, drug and device manufacturers, and insurance companies -- won't adequately slow rocketing costs.Without significantly raising the retirement age, more effective price controls and rationing in health care, and torts reform, federal spending and the national debt will jet into the stratosphere -- no matter what the president and Congress agree to in their current negotiations. Mounting interest payments will cause investors to balk at buying U.S. Treasuries, and draconian reductions in federal spending that must follow will thrust the U.S. into the kind of crisis now gripping Greece and Spain. Follow @PMorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV