"The East Coast's ongoing recovery from Hurricane Sandy helped drive the November SAAR materially higher, but it benefited our competitors more than GM, since they rely on the region for more of their sales," said Kurt McNeil, GM vice president of U.S. sales, in a prepared statement.
At Chrysler, four brands -- Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, and Fiat -- all showed increases, ranging from 1% at Chrysler to 123% at Fiat. But Jeep brand sales fell 3%, reflecting the end of Jeep Liberty production in August and a lingering impact from Hurricane Sandy in the Northeast, a strong Jeep market.
Sales of the Ram pickup, the best-selling Chrysler vehicle, rose 23% to 24,337. At Dodge, Avenger sales rose 26% to 7,132 while the new Dart sold 4,489 units. But sales of the Chrysler 200 fell 9% to 7,371.
"Even with all the talk of a looming fiscal cliff, Chrysler Group is well positioned for a strong sales finish to the year," said Reid Bigland, CEO of Dodge Brand and head of U.S. sales, in a prepared statement. "We are expecting a strong December as the industry continues to recover from the East Coast hurricane and consumers continue to respond to our popular year-end Big Finish event."Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV