NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Popular searches on the Internet include UBS (UBS) as the Swiss lender is said to be close to settling allegations its traders tried to manipulate the London interbank offered rate, or Libor.
Reports said UBS is nearing an agreement to pay more than 290 million pounds ($465 million) to settle the allegations. Regulators are said to be investigating whether UBS worked with other banks in an attempt to influence rates. UBS issued a statement saying it has been "co-operating fully with the regulatory and enforcement authorities in connection with Libor investigations."
More than a dozen banks are currently being investigated for rate-rigging. In June, Barclays (BCS) paid $450 million to settle claims that its traders tried to manipulate the Libor.
Virgin Atlantic Airways is trending as reports said Delta Air Lines (DAL) is said to considering a bid for Singapore Airline's 49% stake in the carrier. Virgin Atlantic is the second-biggest airline at London's Heathrow airport, where takeoff and landing rights are limited. The deal would give Delta increased access to the busy airport and more opportunity for trans-Atlantic business. Delta is reportedly considering buying all or part of Singapore's stake.
Starbucks (SBUX) is another popular search. The coffee chain, along with other multinational companies like Google (GOOG) and Amazon (AMZN), has been accused by British lawmakers of tax avoidance. Though Starbucks said it has always complied with British tax laws and its low tax payments in the past are due to a difficult operating environment in the country, the company also said it is considering changes to its U.K. tax practices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV