By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders are shopping for strong results in Ascena Retail (ASNA), which reports earnings on Wednesday.
OptionMonster's scanners detected the purchase of more than 2,800 December 20 calls on Friday, most of which priced for 75 cents to 80 cents. The volume was above the open interest of 1,947 contracts, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares. They can generate significant leverage in the event of a rally but become worthless if the stock fails to move.Ascena's stock, which fell 0.79% to $20.10 on Friday, has been finding support at its 200-day moving average in the last month. The stock has steadily trended higher since 2009 amid strong results, though earnings missed estimates in May and guidance was weak in September. Formerly known as a Dress Barn, Ascena has seen growth more recently at its Justice and maurices locations. Total option volume was 14 times greater than average in the stock on Friday, with calls outnumbering puts by 23 to 1. Russell has no positions in ASNA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV