The Food and Drug Administration said the company, a subsidiary of India's Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., won't resume manufacturing atorvastatin until it determines the cause of the latest problem and fixes it. The recall was due to "possible contamination with very small glass particles similar to the size of a grain of sand," according to the FDA.
After originally recommending that consumers consult with their pharmacist to determine if they received the recalled atorvastatin â¿¿ and if so, to stop taking it â¿¿ the agency decided Friday that it's safe to take the pills.
FedEx to increase rates in JanuaryMEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) â¿¿ FedEx Corp. says that it is raising its shipping rates for ground and home delivery services in January by an average of 4.9 percent. The shipping company said Friday that the new rates will take effect on Jan. 7. Its SmartPost rates also will go up. FedEx, which is based in Memphis, Tenn., announced earlier this year that it would increase its shipping rates for FedEx Express by an average of 3.9 percent for U.S. domestic, export and import services. Those hikes also take effect on Jan. 7. ___ Eurozone unemployment hits another record high LONDON (AP) â¿¿ Another month, another record unemployment rate for the economy of the 17 European Union countries that use the euro. Figures released Friday by Eurostat, the EU's statistics office, showed that the recession in the eurozone pushed unemployment up in the currency bloc to 11.7 percent in October, the highest level since the introduction of the euro in 1999. The rise from September's previous record of 11.6 percent was anticipated after the eurozone returned to recession in the third quarter, commonly defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. ___ By The Associated Press(equals) The Dow Jones Industrial average closed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV