With the help of Sparky the Wonder Bug and Adam the Workaholic Ant, school kids in Southern California will have an opportunity to learn about electrical safety in an interactive play.
The National Theater for Children, in partnership with Edison International, will present “A Bug’s Light!” play at schools in Compton, South Gate, San Bernardino, Ontario, Tulare and Bell in December.
“This holiday season and throughout the year, Southern California Edison wants everyone to stay safe,” said Henry Martinez, SCE’s vice president of Safety, Security & Compliance. “These school children will be learning about basic electrical safety, which they can take home and share with their families.”
Through live performances by professional actors, these school kids will be educated on how to play it safe around electricity, specifically how electricity is made, the uses of electricity, identifying dangerous electrical situations and ways to stay safe around electricity, especially around down power lines. The interactive play will take a look at safety both inside and outside the home. Following the plays, the kids will receive a workbook reinforcing the key safety messages.The “A Bug’s Light!” interactive play is partially funded by an Edison International grant of $5,000. Recognizing the importance of arts education, the company has incorporated arts in its grant program focusing on science, technology, engineering and math. The play will be presented at several elementary schools in SCE’s service territory. They include Palo Verde Union and Heritage Elementary in Tulare on Dec. 7; Emerson Elementary School in Compton and Independence Elementary School in South Gate on Dec. 10; Juanita Blakely Jones Elementary School in San Bernardino and Bon View Elementary School in Ontario on Dec. 11; and Corona Ave. Elementary School in Bell on Dec. 13. During this holiday season, SCE has a few helpful safety tips:
- Water and electricity don’t mix. Keep electrical cords away from moisture, particularly tree stands filled with water.
- Change bulbs only when the lights are unplugged.
- Plug no more than three strands of lights into each electrical cord or outlet.
- Never use lighted candles on or near holiday trees or decorations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV