Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.
Some drivers who have experienced high engine temperatures followed by engine fires say that their clusters have shown the message "Engine Power Reduced to Lower Temps" or "Engine over temp, stop safely." Some also indicated that their instrument clusters sounded a chime and illuminated a red light.
Drivers who see any of these indications should safely pull off the road as soon as possible, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. Ford will compensate owners for costs tied to overheating as well.
"We have identified an issue and are taking actions in the best interest of our customers," said Steve Kenner, director of Ford's Automotive Safety Office. "It is important that affected customers not ignore this recall and contact their dealer as soon as possible. While we recognize the inconvenience recalls cause our customers, we are taking these actions on their behalf to help ensure their safety."Ford is working on a repair procedure. When parts are available, the company will notify customers so they can schedule a service appointment with dealers. Meanwhile, Ford is advising affected owners to contact a Ford dealer as soon as possible for alternative transportation at no cost to the customer; U.S. owners also may call 866-436-7332 and Canadian customers also may call 888-222-7814 for details on securing alternative transportation. Customers can see if they are affected by the recall by:
- Checking their 17-digit VIN, located on a label on the driver door opening, at the base of the windshield on the driver's side of their vehicle, or on their vehicle registration. In vehicles with 1.6-liter engines, the eighth character will be "X" on Escapes or "R" on Fusions;
- Logging onto Ford.com, click "View Notices and Recalls" in the "Support" tab and input their VIN to determine if their vehicle is part of the recall;
- Calling 866-436-7332 in the U.S. or 888-222-7814 in Canada; or
- Contacting a Ford dealer
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts