Va. Study Group Releases Uranium Mining Report
One of the more contentious issues involves the milling of the ore, which involves the separation of radioactive-laced rock that is stored in containment units for generations. While the company has said it will store the waste in below-grade containment units to minimize the risk of uranium-laced waste entering public water supplies and farm fields, opponents are not convinced the waste called tailings would be secure during an intense storm or torrential rains.
Several Hampton Roads cities that draw their water supplies from Lake Gaston in Southside Virginia oppose mining, fearing the contamination of drinking water.
The working group outlines the regulatory options on that aspect of mining: the state or the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
"Virginia can regulate the mill by developing and fully staffing a program that is compatible with the NRC's regulatory requirements, which would require a significant dedication of resources... "the working group states in the typical how-to approach if the report.The report is among many that have examined uranium mining, from the scientific to the economic. A study by the National Academy of Science completed one year ago did not specifically assess the Virginia Uranium property, but concluded the state would face formidable challenges to ensure the safe mining and milling of uranium. ___ Steve Szkotak can be reached on Twitter at https://twitter.com/sszkotakap .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV