Businesses, Brushed Off by Banks, Look to Customers for Funding
A former Microsoft (MSFT) employee, Payton left the company in 2011 to start the Republique project and now has 15 people under him working toward the launch, expected next summer.
Payton says he couldn't have gotten this far without his Kickstarter campaign. "I shudder to think where we'd be without Kickstarter," he says.
But his campaign almost didn't reach its $500,000 goal.
"While the public respected our daring vision, we frustrated and angered a lot of people in the community who didn't want us to release our game
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV