New Jersey American Water is restoring water service to the barrier island communities in its service areas using a three-pronged approach that began as soon as crews could safely enter on the island following Hurricane Sandy. The company has divided the island into three zones: north (Bayhead), middle (Mantoloking to Lavalette), and south (Ortley Beach and Pelican Island), in order to better manage and accelerate the restoration effort.
In the service areas south of Bayhead, approximately 9,000 customers have been notified that their accounts have been suspended pending completion of both customer and water system restoration work. Clearance from municipal wastewater agencies, confirming their system is ready to accept sanitary sewer flows, will also be required before reactivating water service. Customer water service lines are being isolated at the curb where possible but debris placement and other damage is hindering this effort in some areas. Customers are advised to shut off the main water service valve in their homes or businesses to prevent further damage or freeze up of plumbing. Water for fire protection is a priority and the Company is coordinating daily with local officials on this work.
North Zone (Bayhead):
- With the exception of about 65 houses severely damaged by the storm, water service has been restored.
- In the storm damaged area water mains, hydrants and service lines are being replaced and this work is scheduled to be complete by early December.
Center Zone (Mantoloking to North of Lavalette)
- Water mains have water and pressure east and west of Route 35, as far south as Lyman Ave. (where the storm breached the island).
- Reconstruction of water mains on RT35 between Lyman & the Mantoloking Bridge is proceeding in coordination with road reconstruction and are estimated to be complete in mid-December.
- South of breached area water mains, services and hydrants in the side streets are being pressurized and checked for leaks in a systematic fashion with identified repairs documented and repair work scheduled.
- Assessment of side streets in the area is underway and numerous leaks and main breaks have been detected. Repair work is being planned and scheduled.
- The water mains on Pelican Island have water and pressure. Customer service lines have been shut off but hydrants are available for fire service.
- Replacement of about 4000' of water main on Bay Blvd. will begin on the first week of December, with estimated completion by end of the month. An additional 4000’ water main will be replaced on Ocean Ave. (Harding to 3 rd.). The start date for this project has yet to be determined as the area is currently inaccessible.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV