Background: RadioShack is one of the nation's largest and most trusted consumer electronics retailers in the United States and offers both on- and off-line shopping convenience.
52-Week Range: $1.90 to $11.84Book Value: $6.66 Price To Book: 0.3 RadioShack was the classic yield trap. If you want to learn more about how to avoid yield traps, study the last two years of RadioShack's news, dividends, SEC filings and stock price history. I am including it here more as a warning, but the Shack did appear on my radar. The shares already fell through the floor when the company canceled the dividend. The announcement sent the shares even lower. The Shack is what I would call a "good news play." You buy this one with a good-till-cancel order in place at your target profit area. With a share price near $2, it's like an option without an expiration date. The "lotto" play is to buy after a three-day dip, and wait (and hope) for good news that pops it higher by 20%-30% and you exit. You don't care what the news is as long as it moves the shares higher. This can take months to pay off; however, for $2 the odds are much better than playing the Powerball. I bought a (very) few shares with this in mind. The average analyst target price for RadioShack is $2.46. The short interest is 37.1%. Any stock under $5 is usually a bankruptcy candidate, and this one is certainly included. Shorts are betting heavy on further declines in share price, but this actually helps make the case for considering a long position. If positive news hits the wire, many shorts will quickly cover, adding buying pressure. Hopefully it's obvious, but this is a high-risk play that should either be brushed to the side, or bought only using high-risk capital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV