News Summary: EU Unemployment Hits Record Highs
By The Associated Press
LONG ROAD: Another month, another record unemployment rate for the economy of the 17 European Union countries that use the euro. The EU reported that the terrible economy has pushed unemployment up in the currency bloc to 11.7 percent in October, the highest level since the introduction of the euro in 1999. The rise from September's previous record of 11.6 percent was anticipated after the eurozone returned to recession in the third quarter.
NEGATIVE NUMERS: Eurostat, the the EU's statistics office, found that 18.7 million people were out of work, an increase of 173,000 on the previous month and 2.2 million higher than the year before. The wider 27-nation EU that includes non-euro countries such as Britain and Poland had an unemployment rate of 10.7 percent in October and a total of 25.9 million out of work.
OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN: As the eurozone's unemployment has inched higher since June 2011, the equivalent rate in the U.S. has fallen to below 8 percent as the world's largest economy continues to recover from its worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. The U.S. Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits fell 23,000 to a seasonally adjusted 393,000 last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV