- Ask the insurance agent or broker if the lightning protection system installation is applicable for a discount or credit under "security protection for external perimeter" or "weatherproofing mitigation" guidelines.
- Make sure that the lightning protection system is installed by a qualified LPI-certified installer in accordance with LPI, NFPA and UL safety standards so that the installation meets quality assurance requirements.
- Request that the installing firm provide system compliance information (inspection or proof of installation document) to forward to the insurance provider.
- Ask the insurance provider about discounts for loss mitigation efforts. If premiums are being lowered for mitigation efforts for earthquakes (frame anchoring, bracing cripple walls, strapping a water heater in place, etc.) or for hurricanes (roof bracing, hurricane shutters, or retrofitted doors), then loss mitigation for lightning may be applicable for discount, as well.
- Acquaint your insurance provider with lightning loss statistics (lightning cost more than a billion dollars in insured losses in 2011 and the average homeowner claim was approximately $5,122.) The Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) www.iii.org is a good resource for obtaining lightning loss information.
- Link your insurance provider with lightning protection industry resources that provide information and continuing education services, such as www.lightning.org and the Lightning Safety Alliance (LSA) www.lightningsafetyalliance.org if the provider has questions or needs information.
Homeowners Encouraged To Ask Insurance Providers About Policy Credits For Lightning Protection Systems
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.