- Inspect the caulking and weather-stripping around all windows, doors and openings for utility services, replacing as necessary. Making these improvements could result in savings of up to 20 percent on annual heating bills.
- Have home heating systems cleaned and inspected by a professional each year to ensure safety and optimum efficiency. Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to ensure proper functioning.
- Keep three feet of space between space heaters and any surfaces that could burn, including walls and bedding. Choose space heaters with automatic shut-off in case they tip over.
- Reverse the rotation of ceiling fan blades, which should spin clockwise at low speed during the winter months, so the warm air that has risen can be re-distributed around the room.
- Visit ComEd.com and select "Use My Energy Tools" beneath the "My Usage" tab. Customers can evaluate past energy usage and learn about more ways to keep their homes energy efficient.
ComEd Ready For Winter Weather
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts