- Choose Your Spot Carefully -- Do not park close to bushes, trees, walls, large vehicles, or any other obstruction that may provide a cover for criminals. At night, park in well-lit areas, ideally where others are coming and going.
- Keep Your Valuables Out of Site -- Hide or remove anything valuable from the vehicle. Tablets, laptops, smart phones and navigational systems are popular targets for car burglars. They are easy to steal and conceal. If possible, leave them at home -- or at least -- hide them out of sight. If you accumulate shopping bags during the trip, store them in a locked trunk.
- Lock-up -- All doors should be locked and all windows should be shut tight. Don't forget to lock the trunk if it doesn't lock automatically when you lock your doors. When returning to your vehicle, lock your doors immediately upon entering.
- Use Alarms -- Set your car alarm before leaving your vehicle. If you do not have one, consider having one installed. Alarm stickers and decals are great visible deterrents. Others include steering-wheel locks and brake-pedal locks. Even carrying simple items like a whistle, can be helpful to draw attention and ward off thieves.
- Be Alert -- Always be aware of your surroundings, when parking and returning to your vehicle. Keep your keys in hand when returning so you can enter your vehicle quickly. It is always a good idea to check your back seat before entering your vehicle to be sure no one hiding inside.
Holiday Shoppers Are Vulnerable To Parking Lot Theft -- Protect Yourself This Season
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.