Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLNR), a worldwide leader in specialty display solutions, announced the sale of its electroluminescent (EL) display business to Beneq Oy, a supplier of production and research equipment for advanced thin film coatings. Under the terms of the transaction, consideration consists of a $6.5 million base purchase price, of which $3.9 million was paid in cash at closing and $2.6 million was paid in the form of a promissory note. The transaction terms also provide for up to $3.5 million in possible additional cash consideration which can be earned in calendar years 2013, 2014, 2015 based upon the EL business achieving certain financial results.
“The sale of our EL business to Beneq represents an important milestone in the execution of our strategic plan,” said Gerry Perkel, president and CEO of Planar. “We were able to add cash to our balance sheet and are now able to focus more of our attention and resources on our digital signage and interactive display product lines. In addition, we believe EL customers and employees will benefit from having the EL business now under the direction of a recognized leader in the use of atomic layer deposition (ALD) technology, a critical component of EL display production.” The Company will be working with Beneq after the closing to ensure customers are fully supported in the transition.
REVISIONS TO THE BUSINESS OUTLOOK FOR THE FIRST QUARTER OF FISCAL 2013
As a result of the sale of the EL business, the Company is updating its forward looking estimates for the first quarter of fiscal 2013. The Company currently anticipates revenue in the range of $41 to $44 million and a Non-GAAP loss of $0.05 to a Non-GAAP profit of $0.01 in the first quarter of 2013, excluding the gain or loss recorded on the sale of the EL business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV