Updated from Nov. 29 to provide news from Apple on iPhone 5 and iPad mini in China in the seventh paragraph.
According to a Chinese regulatory Web site, a device that looks a lot like the iPhone 5 has just been approved for a "network access" license in China. It's expected that the iPhone 5 will come to China Telecom (CHA) and China Unicom (CHU) within the next few months. China Telecom Chairman Wang Xiaochu recently said his company hoped to get the popular device by early December.
Apple confirmed Friday morning that the Wi-Fi versions of its iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will be coming to China on Dec. 7. The iPhone 5 will be available one week later, Dec. 14).Now that Apple is able to get the iPhone 5, which has healthy demand in the United States, in the hands of Chinese citizens in time for the holiday shopping season, Wall Street estimates for iPhone sales could be conservative. Wall Street has had a difficult time figuring out foreign iPhone sales, as the numbers are not regularly reported, as they are with domestic carriers, such as AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ) and Sprint (S). Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said he believes Apple will sell 45 million units this quarter, but that was based on checks and calls to U.S. Apple Stores. Apple only has seven stores in China and Hong Kong, per its latest list. Apple has been working on iPhone 5 availability and ramping up production, as components become more readily available. Apple's Web site has shown an improvement in iPhone 5 ship dates, as back orders have improved. They've moved from three to four weeks to two to three weeks, now down to one week. Supply and demand are starting to balance, which is inherently a good thing for Apple as CEO Tim Cook noted the response has been tremendous. "The demand for iPhone is extremely robust, we are thrilled with what we see," Cook noted on the company's fourth-quarter earnings call.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV