This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration. Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
German businesses and households accounted for 95% of total German climate finance in 2010. KfW Bankengruppe and government incentives played a vital role.
Nov. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new study released today by Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) provides the first comprehensive overview of how German businesses, households, and government finance renewable energy and energy efficiency. The report "
The German Landscape of Climate Finance" shows that
Germany invested 1.5% of GDP in 2010, or
EUR 37 billion, in measures to reduce the impact of climate change.
Private capital is of great importance to climate investments in
Germany. In 2010, the majority (
EUR 22 billion) of climate finance came from corporate investors across all sectors of the economy, including farmers, energy utilities, and industrial and commercial enterprises. Private households invested a significant
EUR 14 billion.
According to CPI, government incentives play a major role in unlocking private climate finance in
Germany. Almost half of all private climate investments (
EUR 16.5 billion) were supported by low-interest loans from public banks, such as KfW or Rentenbank.
"The task of the government is to create the conditions for businesses and households to invest in renewable energy and energy efficiency. And indeed, government-backed low-interest loans and policies such as the feed-in-tariff seem to have played an important role in encouraging these private investments," says
Barbara Buchner, Director, CPI Europe.
The German government has committed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80-95% by 2050 and phase out nuclear energy by 2022. These objectives have positioned
Germany as a world leader in national climate mitigation efforts, but also require significant investments that cannot be provided by public funds alone. Therefore, a high share of private finance can be regarded as a positive signal for
Germany's low-carbon strategy.
The report also looked at how climate finance is used in
Germany, and presents figures for total capital investments for renewable energy and incremental investments for energy efficiency. Renewable energy generation accounted for the bulk of
Germany's climate investment in 2010, with
EUR 26.6 billion. Small-scale renewable energy projects, such as residential solar photovoltaic installations, represented 75% of all investment in renewable energy, while large-scale projects accounted for the remaining 25%. Energy efficiency investments amounted to
EUR 7.2 billion, and
EUR 3.3 billion went into other climate specific investments.
As the most comprehensive picture of climate finance flows in
Germany to-date, "
The German Landscape of Climate Finance" lays the groundwork for discussions around German climate finance and the effectiveness of the current climate policy framework. The report also identifies data and reporting gaps for tracking national climate finance.
Germany's total financing needs, for example, are yet undetermined and it is therefore unclear whether current investment levels are sufficient for reaching
Germany's climate and energy targets.
"If we want
Germany's energy transition to be a success, and if we want other countries to learn from the German experience, we need a better understanding of current finance flows and the impact of policies on encouraging investments," says
Ingmar Juergens, Associate Director of CPI Berlin.
German Landscape of Climate Finance" is part of Climate Policy Initiative's work to track climate finance around the world. Another CPI study "
The Global Climate Finance Landscape 2012" presents a comprehensive assessment of global climate finance flows and will be released on
3 Dec 2012.
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a global policy effectiveness analysis and advisory organization. Its mission is to assess, diagnose, and support nations' efforts to achieve low-carbon growth. An independent, not-for-profit organization with long-term support from
George Soros, CPI's headquarters is in
San Francisco and regional offices are in
Rio de Janeiro, and
The authors of the report are available for interviews in
The reports can be found on our website:
SOURCE Climate Policy Initiative