United Parcel Service, Inc. (“UPS”) (NYSE: UPS) and TNT Express N.V. (“TNT Express”) (NYSE Euronext: TNTE) today announced, in line with Dutch disclosure requirements, that remedies have been submitted to obtain competition clearance from the European Commission (EC) for the acquisition of TNT Express by UPS. The offer of remedies does not change the terms and conditions of the Offer by UPS for TNT Express.
The proposed remedies aim to address the EC’s concerns regarding the competitive effects of the intended merger on the international express small package market in Europe. UPS and TNT Express continue to be fully committed to the merger and are working closely with the EC in order to gain competition clearance allowing completion of the transaction in early 2013. As part of the approval process, the EC will market-test the remedies on a confidential basis.
The proposed remedies comprise the sale of business activities and assets in combination with granting access to air capabilities. Eligible buyers of these activities will have to ensure the long-term viability of the divested activities and continuity of customer service.
No further details of the confidential discussions or proposed remedies will be revealed at this stage. The discussions are ongoing, which means that the offered remedies may be subject to change.UPS and TNT Express believe their merger will help create a more efficient logistics market, thereby improving the competitiveness of Europe and the solutions offered to businesses and consumers. Customers and consumers will benefit from a broader portfolio of services and better global access, along with lower supply-chain costs overall and improved service levels in terms of timing and reliability. UPS and TNT Express value their employees highly. Both UPS and TNT Express will follow the required consultation and advice procedures with their works councils with regard to these remedies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV