BERWICK, Pa., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Operators at PPL's Susquehanna nuclear power plant reconnected Unit 2 to the regional power grid Thursday (11/29) after repairing a hydraulic system associated with the unit's main turbine.
The hydraulic system operates valves that enable steam to bypass the turbine during startup and certain operating conditions.
"We made repairs and, as part of our normal process for resolving plant issues, we also inspected the soundness of other related equipment," said Timothy S. Rausch, PPL Susquehanna senior vice president and chief nuclear officer.
Plant operators detected the leaks as part of routine inspections during startup procedures while at very low power levels. Operators then followed established procedures and safely shut down Unit 2 to allow for repairs.The oil leaks did not affect employee or public safety. Employees quickly cleaned up the leaks and properly disposed of the oil. Unit 1 continues operating safely at full power. The Susquehanna plant, located in Luzerne County about seven miles north of Berwick, is owned jointly by PPL Susquehanna LLC and Allegheny Electric Cooperative Inc. and is operated by PPL Susquehanna LLC. PPL Susquehanna LLC is one of PPL Corporation's generating affiliates. Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) owns or controls through its subsidiaries about 19,000 megawatts of generating capacity in the United States, sells energy in key U.S. markets, and delivers electricity and natural gas to about 10 million customers in the United States and the United Kingdom. More information is available at www.pplweb.com. SOURCE PPL Susquehanna
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV