For the third year in a row, the Groupon (NASDAQ: GRPN) Grouponicus Holiday Shop ( http://www.groupon.com/gifts) empowered Black Friday and Cyber Monday consumers in the U.S. to give unforgettable local experiences and this season’s hottest goods. The company today announced record holiday weekend purchase rates on Groupon.com and unprecedented Black Friday transactions via Groupon’s Mobile services ( http://www.groupon.com/mobile) and Groupon Goods ( http://www.groupon.com/goods), which celebrated the biggest four-day weekend of sales since its inception.
If early Grouponicus activity is any indication, shoppers are beginning to view in-store doorbusters and “blink and miss it” hourly deals as outdated as holiday relics like printed gift receipts and answering machine carols. Instead, consumers turned to the convenience of mobile shopping and the hyperlocal Groupon platform to hit every person on their list.
“It’s the Year of Mobile,” said Kal Raman, COO, Groupon. “Shoppers are depending on Groupon to browse and buy on the go, simultaneously shipping gifts to loved ones across the country and driving traffic into brick and mortar businesses to support local economies. We’re proud of such an explosive start to the Grouponicus season and the assistance we’ll provide both consumers and merchants at this time of year.”
Record Transaction Rate on Groupon.com – Local Gifts in High Demand
- On Black Friday Groupon saw almost twice the purchase rate of its previous busiest day on record
- Buying local is critical in helping hundreds of thousands of consumers celebrate the holidays:
- Leisure activities like the Ice Castles holiday exhibit at Mall of America, Seven Peaks waterpark in Utah and Wine and Palette social painting classes in Oklahoma each sold thousands of units
- Restaurants reigned as the top deal category purchased with more than 207,400 restaurants, bakeries and desserts units sold…
- ….Which opened the door for New Year’s resolutions as gift opportunities: shoppers grabbed more than 17,625 fitness deals to help friends and family get healthy in 2013
- Black Friday transactions via Mobile were up 140% year over year, driving more than 40% of total Groupon transactions and more than half of Groupon Goods’ transactions
- Groupon saw record-setting mobile traffic, with users ordering at a rate of 4x a normal Friday morning
- Early best sellers indicate thoughtful and stylish gifts are at the top of shoppers’ lists this year:
- Keepsakes are the ultimate versatile gift: More than 43,000 Customizable Photo Books sold to help holiday memories last all year
- You’re getting an iPhone: If 40,000 iPhone Case purchases are any indication, look under the tree for a new phone that needs protecting
- Bling is always in style: 84,000 lobes will sparkle this season thanks to 42,000 Topaz Earrings purchased through Groupon Goods
- …..And toys are always a hit for any age!
- Don’t worry about sitting at the kids’ table – find one of the 11,000 Flying Helicopters purchased to annoy the “adults”