US Airways Merger Wouldn't Help AMR, Transportation Expert Says
US Airways unsuccessfully pursued mergers with Delta (DAL) and United (UAL) before pursuing American. As for China, regulators awarded US Airways route authority to fly Philadelphia-Beijing in 2007 and US Airways returned it in 2009.
US Airways spokesman Todd Lehmacher said the carrier gave up its China authority due to escalating fuel prices -- which also caused some peers to return China authorities -- and questions about aircraft capability. US Airways operates A330s, but "the route was at the edge of the range," Lehmacher said. "We would have gone to another aircraft type." He said Airbus A350s are scheduled to begin to arrive in 2017, which "does open additional markets in Asia."
In the meantime, "we've decided to focus in the short term on Europe, which is very successful," Lehmacher said. To South America, US Airways operates Charlotte-Rio flights and hopes to begin Charlotte-Sao Paulo service as well. It has obtained a Sao Paulo route authority, but continues to face delays in securing takeoff and landing times as well as space to park the plane at Sao Paulo's Guarulhos International Airport. In general, Sao Paulo is a difficult place for a U.S. carrier to establish new routes.
Gellman said that US Airways has focused on short-term profitability, "on quarter-to-quarter improvements," rather than taking a longer view which "could lead to lost opportunities in the future."I'm not criticizing Doug Parker or his team," Gellman said. "But they have to live with what they've done today for many tomorrows if they don't pay attention." Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV