HanesBrands (NYSE: HBI) announced today that it will use its strong cash position to reduce long-term debt this year by another $250 million and reduce interest expense in 2013 by prepaying half of its $500 million of 8 Percent Senior Notes Due 2016 a year earlier than originally anticipated.
The redemption of the bonds on Dec. 27 will reduce the company’s total bond debt to $1.25 billion, and the company’s year-end long-term debt is expected to be less than 2.5 times EBITDA, a significant achievement in leverage reduction since the company’s 2006 spinoff.
By using a make-whole provision that is part of the bond indenture, the company has determined that it can prepay its 8 percent notes now with no additional interest and call premiums than if it waited to retire the bonds in December 2013.
“We have a substantial amount of cash on hand now as a result of strong cash flow in 2012, we are committed to reducing our debt, and we have determined there is no benefit or need to wait to start prepaying our 8 percent notes,” Hanes Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard A. Noll said. “With this debt payment, the era of being a highly leveraged company is a thing of the past.”The company expects to take a pretax charge of approximately $34 million in the fourth quarter of 2012 for bond prepayment expenses due through Dec. 15, 2013, and acceleration of noncash unamortized debt costs. Fourth-Quarter 2012 and Full-Year 2013 Guidance Other than the approximately $34 million charge related to early bond redemption to be incurred in the fourth quarter, all other fourth-quarter guidance issued on Oct. 23, 2012, in conjunction with third-quarter results remains the same. That guidance included expected net sales for the quarter of approximately $1.13 billion to $1.17 billion and diluted earnings per share for continuing operations of $1.00 to $1.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV